According to MerriamWebster,
ap·a·thyPart of my online hiatus was the dreaded "Real Life" raid boss. I pulled too much aggro -- Work, Volunteer, Family -- at the same time and they combined to wipe me. Another part of it is an annual down-cycle; late February and March are a rough time for me. Some years are easier than others, but this year was rough. But, I can't place all the blame for my sabbatical on Real Life. A large reason for being AFK has just been plain apathy within the game of Warcraft. I haven't been doing much in the game, so I don't have much to write about from my game experiences. I've struggled to actually care about anything current (5.2 is totally foreign to me - I'm still digesting 5.0 and 5.1!) in the game.
- lack of feeling or emotion : impassiveness
- lack of interest or concern : indifference
Let's quickly break down my WoW status:
- I'm not on a progression raid team by choice.
- I'm exalted with all the base MoP (patch 5.0 and 5.1) factions (except for a few Tillers and Nat Pagle, but who has time to fish enough to get chummy with Nat?)
- I've done more daily quests than I ever want to do again.
- Pet Battling is an occasional past-time, but no longer as addictive as it was.
- I don't have a PVP set, and if I want abuse I can queue for heroic 5 mans; I don't need to be the squishy on the BG.
- I may run an occasional LFR, but I'm not confident in my command of the class mechanics and I'm unwilling to spend the time to min/max with sites like Elitist Jerks to squeeze every last ounce of DPS from my character. As a result, I'm shy to queue for an LFR.
- I've got one level 90 with an iLevel even high enough for LFR; the prospect of repeating all that rep grind and gear grinds on alt 90s is overwhelming.
- I'm gearing my new 90s via scenarios rather than instances. Less stress, shorter queues and I simply enjoy the scenarios.
- I'm leveling alts. I had seven 85s in Cataclysm. I'm up to three 90s in MoP. Time to pass some love along to some other toons.
- I'm experimenting with low-level PVP. Holy hell is the level 10-15 bracket fun!
- I'm relying on OpenRaid for my older content raiding needs.
- I have actually completed Firelands (10H and 25H) and I'm closing in on the Meta.
- I got my 10m and 25m ICC meta drakes from OpenRaid events.
- Except for a few bad apples, the folks I've met via OpenRaid are friendly, helpful and just plain cool.
- I'm reminded of JD's Laid Back Raids, which I will sorely miss.
I'm going to attempt to put organize the events I enjoy doing and post 'em up to OpenRaid to see who else may be into the same stuff I'm into. I've even started a new guild called <Swiss Cheesements>- on Borean Tundra (US) as well as on OpenRaid - with the express purpose of doing 'outdated' achievements. The first event is planned for 5 May and it's an all Death Knight 25m raid on ICC(H). Can you just imagine 25 Armies of the Dead swarming a boss? I can't wait!
Some of the excitement is back and I'm looking forward to seeing how this part plays out.